Unlike what it’s name suggests, a vibratory plate compactor is not a machine that breaks up kitchen plates. Instead, it is a construction machine that loosens soils, gravel, and asphalt. It’s excited mechanism causes the engine’s plate to vibrate, which moves at approximately 4,000 vibrations per minute. This is designed to merge the particles closer together so that the ground will smooth out. Most compactors have very similar designs. For example, a good majority are similar in height and width dimensions as well as speed. However, some do better in the smaller spaces than others and some have extra features, such as a spare wheel kit. Compactors have a very hard and grimy job to do as they are designed to make road and walkway ingredients last for years without needing repairs or replacements. Here are the current top 10 vibratory plate compactors.
10. VP 1340A Value Vibratory Soil Plate, 13 kN, 40mm/15.5in
The VP 1340A has a four single cylinder with a Honda displacement. It is also air-cooled. It is 42x16x36 inches. It’s forward speed is up to 75 feet per minute.
- Contour running surfaces with rounded edges for maximum maneuverability
- Enclosed belt with lightweight belt guard for longevity
- Low maintenance exciter bearing
- Handles with just the right amount of weight for easy loading and unloading
9. NorthStar Close-Quarters Plate Compactor -with 5.5 HP Honda GX160 Engine
The NorthStar is ideal for smaller and more difficult jobs. It The handle is made to drive it in vertical positions in tight spaces.The 5.5 GX160 engine is made so that it is high powered but has low fuel maintenance. The 3 x 14 inch plate is made to plow through smaller and tighter areas. It moves to up to 82 feet per minute for a fast job.
- Can produce over 2,250 pounds of compaction
- Gives 5,700 vibrations per minute
- Engine contains a cast iron cylinder
8. RuggedMade MS60B 2,400 Pound Compaction Force Plate Compactor with 5HP Briggs & Stratton Engine
The Ruggedmade’s operating weight is just over 25 pounds. It also contains a ¼ thick plate steel with a 20 x 14 base plate and has a frequency of 5,600 vibrations per minute. It can compact up to eight inches of material and travels up to 16 inches per second. This means that it can cover close to 5,000 inches per hour. It is known for setting bricks into sand quite well and also smooths out materials for sidewalks, walkways, and patios.
- The handles have a foam grip that makes it easy to handle
- Optional wheel kit to make for an easier smooth out
7. 9TRADING 6.5HP Gas Power HD Plate Compactor Tamper Rammer with Water Tank
The 9TRADING’s engine is air-cooled with a single cylinder that gives four strokes. It can compact at a depth of up to 12 inches and has a one-gallon fuel tank. The vibration speed is about 6,500 and it can travel up to 60 feet per minute.
- It includes a wheel kit that helps to compact up to 30 inches in depth
- shipping weight is 250 pounds and the color varies. It is 25.6 x 19.3 x 27.6
6. Powerhorse Single-Direction Plate Compactor -with 7 HP Engine
The Powerhorse’s plate compactor helps to compact almost 4,000 pounds of material for walkways, landscaping, etc. If the engine runs low on oil, it shuts off automatically to prevent further damage. It can travel up to 65 feet per minute.
- The optional wheel kit is sold separately
- The belt comes with a seated clutch cover for protection and longevity
- Its float-type carburetor allows for a consistent operation
- Its centrifugal flyweight governor allows for consistent speed
5. XtremepowerUS 4,500lbs 6HP Gas Vibration Construction Plate Compactor Quad Air Filter 208cc Kohler EPA CARB Compliant +Water Tank
The XtremepowerUS is made to work in tightly confined areas. It is ideal for putting the finishing touches on asphalt, sand, and sloped areas as it is equipped with its own water and sprinkler system. For roads especially, it is designed to provide long-lasting compaction.It’s heavy duty frame allows for easy lifting for transportation. It’s quad-clean cyclonic air filter is designed to provide extra protection even in the dirtiest of jobs.
- The single direction plate, which is 23.6 x 17.3 inches, makes it ideal to work in tight spaces
- The adjustable control throttle and engine oil drain make for a great convenience and faster job
- It is capable of compacting up to 12 inches deep
4. Vibratory Plate Compactor 220lb Lifan 6HP Engine
The 6HP is very comprehensive and ideal for all sorts of jobs, such as asphalt resurfacing and flooring settlement pavers. This is mostly due to the fact that its water tank has well-designed frontal water outlets. It’s highly flexible and designed to be low maintenance. Its double wheels and retractable handle make for easy transportation.
- Centrifugal force is over 3,350
- It can travel up to 82 feet per minute, making for a fast and effective job
- 18 x 31 x 28 are its main dimensions
- The base plate is 17.7 x 24.5
3. XtremepowerUS 6HP 4500-Pound Compaction Force Reversible Plate Compactor Construction CARB EPA Compliant 208cc Engine
The XtremepowerUS 6HP’s reverse plate direction allows it for an easy maneuver without needing to turn it. This makes it ideal for smaller jobs such as trenches and retaining walls. It’s vibration frequency is 7,It comes with its own manual and a spare plate. It’s compaction depth is 12 inches and it’s overall dimensions are 19.5 x 35 x 37.
- The adjustable control handle, cushioned bars, and fuel drain tube make for an easy transportation
- It’s quad clean system and four-cyclonic air filter provides extra protection even in the dirtiest of jobs
- It is comprehensive and can be used in multiple jobs, however, it is especially ideal for the finishing touches
2. Stark Industry 6.5HP Walk Behind Plate Compactor Gas Vibration Compaction Force 2,360Lbs Force w/Built-in Wheel
The Stark 6.5HP has a recoil start type with an adjustable throttle. It is extremely flexible, which makes it ideal for both homeowners and professionals. It fold-up wheels makes for an easy transportation and movement. It is ideal for the finishing touches with asphalt, slopes, and sand. It is especially ideal for paving projects.
- It’s versatility makes it ideal for pavement, trenching, and landscaping jobs
- The engine is a four-stroke gasoline with a force air cooling
- The overall dimensions are 15 x 24 x 47
- It is compliant with the EPA and the CARB
1. Stark 2.0HP Gas Vibration Compaction Force Construction Plate Compactor 2,000 Lbs Force for Paving Landscaping Sidewalk Patio Project EPA
The Stark 2.0HP has a 79cc that gives powerful blows , which are triggered by the 2.0 engine. This makes it ideal for home as well as professional jobs. It can climb up to 20 degrees and has a one gallon fuel tank.
- It is comprehensive and can be used for everything from sidewalk paving to landscaping
- The fold-up transport wheels make for easy transportation and can be used as necessary on the job
- The handle width is about 12.5 inches