A jet mini lathe is a machine that is used to shape wood, and sometimes other materials, to particular and specific designs. The lathe holds the wood while it is being rotated, while another tool does the cutting action. The jet mini lathe comes in a compactable and travel size which makes it easy to install in homes or even workshops for various types of projects. Many types of mini-lathe exist that all are different from each other, that you are more than likely to find one that fits your needs.
They have different rotational speeds allowing you to pick and choose the one that you are comfortable with. Some come with safety locks and some don’t. Not to mention, the motor is also different from one mini-lathe to another with ranging horsepower. The faceplate, backplate, tool rests, and the between center capacity all vary in size and shape to give you a detailed and precise finish. There is no doubt that you won’t find the best jet mini-lathe for you.
10. Nova 71118 Comet II – 12”, Powerful Electronic 3/4 HP variable speed
NOVA Comet II Midi Adaptable Lathe is perfect for various types of woodwork projects. Its small design saves space and makes it easy to travel with. The new version comes with a spin system that makes it very flexible and the most versatile product currently in the market. The strong cast-iron structure provides maximum support while absorbing all vibrations. The three-step pulley system provides different speeds for smooth and easy finishing. Not to mention, the Versaturn Coupler Accessory allows you to attach other accessories, like a grinding wheel.
- Speed range between 250-4000 RPM, forward and reverse switch, 42” bed extension, one and five-year warranty on parts.
9. Jet JWL – 1015
Beginner user-friendly at an affordable price. It also satisfies professionals who are in the market for a new jet mini-lathe. This is a 15″ mini-lathe that runs smoothly and has the power and precision to complete up to several tasks. It comes with six different types of spindle speeds, 500, 840, 1240, 1800, 2630 and 3975, allowing you work at a speed you are comfortable with. It also has an MT2 spindle and tailstock to provide precise details. Also, the wider bed ways increases the rigidity of the machine. All these combined features make it a very powerful and versatile tool to have for your wood-shop.
- Six different spindle speeds, 24 position indexing, easy access to belts with the upgraded tensioning system, a warranty can be requested.
8. JET JWL – 1221VS – 12” by 21” Variable Speed
The JET 1221VS is not like any other mini-lathe. The design and durability of JET 1221VS give you control. With improved features and design, it gives you the ultimate turning experience at your fingertips. The speed control of 60-3600 RPM gives you the chance to work at a pace you want. The spindle lock is spring-loaded providing safety and control for the various types of projects.
- Smooth forward and reverse transition, acme thread in the tailstock, 24 integrated indexing positions, belt tension that is ratchet style, controls are conveniently located.
7. Jet JWL-1015VS – 10” X 15” Variable Speed
The JET 1015 is a good fit for novice users, as well as, enthusiasts and professionals who are looking to add a mini-lathe with upgraded features to their work station. The JET 1015 has three-speed options, 200-1050, 300-1750 and 600-3600, allowing you flexibility by providing different options. The JET 1015 is ideal for you to turn any ideas you have into realities.
- 15.5” between centers, 3-speed ranges, 24 position index, wider bed increasing rigidity, liver center in the tailstock, cast iron bed structure.
6. Jet 719115 JWL – 1221SP Step Pulley
The Jet 1221SP is a great fit for beginners who are just starting to get into the woodwork business and have no prior experience using a lathe. The machine would be the best choice at an affordable price. The Jet 1221SP is very similar to the 1221VS Lathe, the only difference is that the Jet 1221SP uses a six-speed pulley.
- Horsepower motor (¾), smooth sliding, tool support, tool caddie, 5- year warranty
5. NOVA 46300 Comet II – 12” x 16-½”
It’s compatible and portable design of the mini-lathe offers the full support and stability of a larger machine. The options of various speeds, from low to high, make it a great choice to finish any projects. This product has a between the center capacity of 16.5- inches. Paired with the extended bed accessory, the capacity increases to 41-inches.
- ¾ HP (horsepower) motor, 12-inches swing over bed, 16.5-inches in between center, 3 step pulley system, tailstock that self-ejects, improved on/off switch, cast iron construction.
4. WEN 34027 – 2” by 16” Variable Speed
This is a 2-inch by 16-inch cast iron wood lathe. It has an adjustable speed which can be set anywhere from 500 RPM to 2500 RPM, with an illuminating display. The MT2 spindle measures 1-inch by 8 TPI (Threads per inch) allowing for various types of accessories. The 4.5 Amp Motor starts slow and gradually builds speed to keep from damage to the motor and also provides safety for the user.
- Face place with a center spur, safety power switch, rotational direction switch, tailstock handwheel, live center, tool rest, spindle lock, variable speed knob.
3. RIKON 70-100
This is a 12-inch by-16-inch mini-lathe that saves space while giving you everything you need. Its powerful and smooth design allows you to create creative and accurate patterns. Its ability to change speeds quickly and easily makes it a very convenient option for many people. The RIKON 70-100 offers speed ranging from 430 to 810, 1,230, 1,810, 2,670, and 3,Owners are also able to customize this mini-lathe to fit your needs because the RIKON 70-100 is versatile when it comes to accessories.
- 12-position index head, self-ejecting tailstock, various accessory options, many speed options, user-friendly, and 2-year limited warranty.
2. WEN 3420T
The WEN 3420T comes in an 8-Inch by 12-Inch with speed settings from 750 to 3200 RPM. It has an MT1 spindle, with thread measurement of 1-inch by 8 TPI, and a tightly tapered tailstock. The 2 Amp Motor is powerful and also designed to prevent any motor damage and provides safety for the user. It also offers many accessories that make it an ideal fit for any type of work.
- 5-inch faceplate, on/off switch with safety lock, tool rest lock, tailstock cup center, 4 ½ and 7-Inch tool rest
1. SHOP FOX W1704
This is an 8-inch by a 13-inch mini-lathe. It has a between the center capacity of 12 inches. The cast-iron structure has a ⅓ horsepower, speed range from 700 and 3,200 RPM. The safety paddle switch lets you work with a sense of comfort. Combined with the various accessories makes it ideal for pen turning and small tasks.
- Cast iron construction, ⅓ HP motor, MT No. 1 spur center, MT No.1 live center, 4 ¼ -inch and 7-inch tool rests, 5 ¾ inch faceplate, ¾ by 16-inch TPI spindle, 2-year warranty.